Millennial doctors care about culture but not social media when looking for a job, according to CompHealth survey

April 16, 2018

CompHealth, a healthcare staffing organization, revealed results from a survey administered to nearly 600 young physicians. The responses provide insights into how millennial physicians find their first positions, what they want in a job, and why they change jobs.

CompHealth’s survey found that nearly all millennial physicians (93%) own and use a smartphone. However, physicians rarely use social media tools when looking for work, with only 1% finding employment through social media (LinkedIn, Facebook, Doximity, etc.). Forty percent of placements were the result of referrals and networking.

“It was surprising to learn that virtually no young physicians were finding work through social media. Instead, many were finding jobs through old-fashioned personal connections,” says Lisa Grabl, president of CompHealth. “This study helps us better understand the motivations and interests of young doctors at the beginning of their careers, and how hospitals and clinics can build programs to attract and retain these talented young physicians.”

Other key findings:

  • Although finding the right fit is the leading concern for young doctors looking for jobs (60%), only 35% of men and 23% of women attribute culture fit as a reason they left a place of employment.
  • Young doctors rank the following as the biggest reasons for leaving: Compensation (59%), work/life balance (51%), and bad management (45%).
    • 69% of men identify compensation as the largest reason for leaving a position.
    • 56% of women identify poor work/life balance as the largest reason for leaving a position.
  • While 26% of respondents indicated they had no debt, the remaining 74% have substantial debt—19% owe between $100,000 and $199,999 and 44% owe more than $200,000.
  • Fourteen percent of physicians tried out locum tenens early in their career, with compensation being a driving factor for working these temporary assignments.

With the physician shortage being a top concern for healthcare providers, CompHealth wanted to better understand the processes by which young physicians search for jobs, and gain insights into their plans for post-training life. Respondents completed their medical training between 2014 and 2018.

PR Newswire has the full release

Sponsored Recommendations

A Cyber Shield for Healthcare: Exploring HHS's $1.3 Billion Security Initiative

Unlock the Future of Healthcare Cybersecurity with Erik Decker, Co-Chair of the HHS 405(d) workgroup! Don't miss this opportunity to gain invaluable knowledge from a seasoned ...

Enhancing Remote Radiology: How Zero Trust Access Revolutionizes Healthcare Connectivity

This content details how a cloud-enabled zero trust architecture ensures high performance, compliance, and scalability, overcoming the limitations of traditional VPN solutions...

Spotlight on Artificial Intelligence

Unlock the potential of AI in our latest series. Discover how AI is revolutionizing clinical decision support, improving workflow efficiency, and transforming medical documentation...

Beyond the VPN: Zero Trust Access for a Healthcare Hybrid Work Environment

This whitepaper explores how a cloud-enabled zero trust architecture ensures secure, least privileged access to applications, meeting regulatory requirements and enhancing user...